Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What a treat I had today!

I was out running errands and ran into (not literally!) an aquaintance/friend I hadn't seen in awhile.  She is a wonderful older woman named Katherine and she just makes me feel great.  Let me tell you the story about how she and I met.

Back in December of last year (2009) I came out of school after a long day of teaching and headed for my car.  I got to the parking lot and prepared to step over a small ridge of snow on the edge of the sidewalk and slipped and fell.  I ended up breaking the ball joint in my right arm, plus my upper arm in two other places.  I had surgery to repair it all on New Year's Eve day... what a way to end/start the year!

Since I live alone and had no one at home to take care of me after surgery, I had to go to a rehab facility after I was released from the hospital.  I was there for a month as I worked to get minimal range of motion back in my arm. (After more out patient physical therapy my arm is very much improved and I have most of my range of motion back, but there are still some things that I can't do that I once was able to... I've learned to adjust.)

The rehab facility was basically a nursing home with one wing that was primarily for short term people like myself who were there for rehab.  98% of the people there, even on the rehab wing, were senior citizens (70's & 80's).  Katherine was one of the other patients on the rehab wing.

Every day while I was at the rehab facility I would go for physical therapy (or more accurately, pain & torture!) and a few other patients would be there as well.  We'd all work on our personal exercises while we waited for our 1-1 time with the therapist.  That's where I met Katherine.

Katherine is in her mid-80's, uses a walker to get around, and looks oh so frail... but she's anything but frail!  That woman is spunky & feisty and sharp as a tack.  She has a great sense of humor and a wonderful upbeat, go-get-em personality.  It always made my day to see Katherine and chat a bit with her while we went through our PT exercies.

I was released from the rehab facility at the end of January.  Katherine was still there when I left.  So today when I ran into Katherine at the drug store, I was overjoyed to see her!  She's living back at home, had driven herself to the store, and although she was still using her walker, she looked great.  It was just so wonderful to see her!

I got Katherine's phone number and promised to call her soon... she said she'd love to get together for lunch one day.  What fun that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment