Thursday, July 15, 2010

I live in a condominium complex... I rent, don't own. The complex consists of three buildings, each with 18 units. Each building has three entrances which give access to 6 units each, with three floors in each building.

It's a decent place to live... reasonable rent for something this nice in this area, quiet & country atmosphere with scenic views from the patio, condo rules which keep the place a decent place to live.

In general it's a quiet place to live... not a lot of traffic going by, not a lot of outside noise, no loud parties. But the place wasn't built in such a way as to tone down the normal every day noise of next door neighbors. It's easy to hear alot of what's going on next door or upstairs, not because the neighbors are outrageously noisy, but simple because of the way the place was built.

Now, I've been an apartment dweller for most of my life. I know what it's like to have to deal with a certain amount of noise from very close neighbors. You just learn to tune it out after awhile, unless it's over the top noise. This place, however, has to be about the noisiest place I've ever lived when it comes to being able to hear neighbors living their normal lives. (except for the ratty apartment I had once where the Chinese restaurant people lived downstairs... but that's a story for another day)

I don't know.... maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age and just can't deal with things like this like I used to. (thinking) Nah... I've always been this cranky, so that's not it. (grin) It's just the way these buildings are so poorly built.

The noise from the neighbors all started with the guy I affectionately think of as "The Sneezer". (more about him later) Then along came "The Slambangers", followed by "Thudmuffin", "King Kong", and "The Loudmouths". I don't even know the real names of these folks. I just gave them names according to the type of noise they made/make. (Hey, you were warned... I told you my brain comes up with some crazy stuff!)

First, "The Sneezer", who must have sneezed 20-30 times a day, no joke! His unit abutted mine from the side & I could hear him every time I was in my bedroom or the bathroom. "The Slambangers" are my immediate neighbors, as we share the same entry hallway. They slam their door every time they leave or arrive. (so annoying!) "Thudmuffin" was a petite girl who moved in upstairs but made so much noise walking around that it sounded like a heard of elephants rather than one small young woman! She was replaced by "King Kong" who is more quiet in general than Thudmuffin, but is much more heavy footed. Finally, along came "The Loudmouths" who are in the unit where The Sneezer once was. They call back and forth to each other from in and outside their unit from their patio which abuts mine.

Of course I can't just leave it at giving the basics about each one of these neighbors. I have a complete story to tell about each... that will commence tomorrow. I know you're just dieing with anticipation... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment